Huwebes, Marso 7, 2013

My OJT Experience



   As a student of Golden State College, it is one of the requirements to have an On the Job Training (OJT) in order to graduate in college. Since I am a BS Tourism student, it is very important to undergo this training to be able to prepare ourselves in the future.







   I conducted my OJT at General Santos City International Airport last October 2012 to January 2013. It was really fun yet very demanding job I experienced. My first assignment was a data encoder of the Philippine Airlines (PAL) cargo. On my first day, I had a hard time adjusting in the working environment in the office. I do not have idea what do to do; this kind of job is in constant pressure. At the office most of the employees were busy and none of them would teach me how to do my job correctly. Because of my determination I survive this challenge as a trainee. I survive the two months pressure yet very exciting job as a data encoder.

   My second assignment was in Mabuhay Miles (under Philippine Airlines). I was assigned in information center as information desk officer. As the title implies, I assist the passengers regarding their plane ticket, boarding time, baggage, terminal fees, etc. I also introduce airline promos offered by Mabuhay Miles to the passengers. This job was not easy. It tests your patient, presence of mind and communication skills. For example, there is a one local passenger that easily got irritated because of the long process of checking in to the plane. So my job is to explain what the cause of the delay is or assist him/her on what to do. If the passenger is not convinced about it, I try not to lose my temper because the situation may get worst. I learned a lot form this job. I learned to deal with different kinds of people; I improve my communication skills; and I learned to be patient and calm in a stressful situation. Luckily, I survived the two months and one week of this task.

   My third assignment was in Mabuhay Lounge (also under PAL). I was assigned at the front desk as a front desk officer. This kind of job entertains and assists the V.I.P passengers (under Philippine Airlines special passenger offer) or if they want to avail the promos as offered by the airlines. This kind of job has a funny side. For example, I encountered a foreign passenger (Japanese) who cannot speak fluent English. Whenever he talks I cannot understand his English because of his accent. Through this job I learned to practice my English for better communication to the foreign passengers. The two months and two weeks of this job helps me gain my confidence in dealing with people.



   I never forget my OJT experience. I will use my knowledge and experience for future employment. I cherished this moment because this is once in a lifetime opportunity.


 

3 komento:

  1. Hi, you had great training at PAL, do they reject OJT applicants? Can you give me some tip on what to do when you are applying for an internship ?the interviews? what are the usual questions?If it's okay, thank you

    TumugonBurahin
  2. hi thank you for sharing you're life time expireince:) Sakit.info

    TumugonBurahin